Connect with us

Lifestyle

Abuja High court quashes EFCC’s declaration of oil businessman, Benedict Peters, as a ‘Wanted’ man

Published

on

A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja has quashed the declaration of Executive Vice Chairman of Aiteo, Benedict Peters, as ‘wanted’ by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

In a judgement given on March 22, 2017, the court stated that the anti-graft agency has no power to declare Peters or anyone ‘wanted’ without a court order.

This was in response to a suit FCT/HC/CV/23/2017 filed by Benedict Peters, accusing the EFCC of declaring him wanted on its website without following due process. As affirmed by the court, “Peters has never been charged with, nor tried for any criminal offence in any Court of law, nor has he ever jumped bail for any offence howsoever in Nigeria and cannot be declared wanted by administrative fiat, without any prior order or leave of Court.”

The judgement delivered by Justice Othman Musa further reads:

“The very act of declaring the Applicant (Benedict Peters) a WANTED PERSON on the official website of the 1st Respondent (EFCC) without any prior order or leave of a Court of competent jurisdiction to that effect is unlawful, illegal, wrongful, ultra vires, unconstitutional and constitutes a flagrant violation of the Fundamental rights of the Applicant to personal liberty, private and family life, freedom of movement and Right to not to be subjected to inhuman treatment and degrading treatment as guaranteed under Section 34, 37, 41 and 46 of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (As amended) and Articles 2, 3(1) & (2), 4, 5, 6, 7, and 12(1) of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (Ratification and Enforcement) Act 2004.”

On the 15th day of August, 2016, Peters was declared wanted by EFCC without an order of Court and in the absence of a valid charge in a Court of law. The said declaration was published in Punch newspaper, Premium Times as well as Sahara reporters and specifically on the official website of EFCC. It was also carried by top tier news platforms across the country.

EFFC claimed that Benedict Peters was summoned on several occasions before he was declared wanted. However, evidence presented in court showed that Peters was out of the country on health grounds and this was communicated to EFCC by his legal representatives. Peters requested for a rescheduling based on the aforementioned reason, however, a day before the date on which he had been required to attend armed men and police officers at the behest of EFCC, invaded his company premises ostensibly and made some arrests.

EFCC’s defence to its actions is that it acted based on a warrant of arrest issued by a magistrate court. Upon scrutinizing the contents of the document constituting the warrant, the Judge discovered that the said document was dated 5th of August, 2016, suggesting that it was made or signed by the issuing magistrate on that date. But, curiously, EFCC endorsed it as having been received on the 4th of August, 2016 at 10.32am. This inconsistency completely flawed EFCC’s defence and the judge remarked:

I am left with no option but to conclude that the 1st Respondent (EFCC) has presented to this Court an absurd and unimaginable case of receiving a signed document a day before it was actually signed by the person who purported to have signed it. Am afraid, such a thing is not possible in our physical world. Perhaps, it is possible in the spirit world. This renders the circumstances surrounding the procurement of this document doubtful.

Since EFCC’s declaration was not within the ambit of the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and did not comply with the conditions precedent to the said declaration, the court dismissed the case thus:

“An order is hereby made directing the 1st Respondent (EFCC) to remove from its website the purported declaration made against the applicant forthwith.”

This latest ruling in favour of the oil magnate follows a series of recorded victories where his earnings were declared as legitimate and several money laundering allegations levied against him were thrown out of court based on lack of evidence.

Facebook Comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Man arrested for having sex with horse confesses to carrying out the act 4 times a week

Published

on

A man arrested for allegedly having sex with a miniature horse has confessed to the act and said he engages in the act 4 times a week. He also added that he always used a condom because he “didn’t want to get a disease”.

Nicolas Sardo, 21 is accused of having sex with the animal, called Jackie G, on multiple occasions. A witness told police she saw Nicholas Sardo, of Florida, engaging in sexual activity with the horse on her family’s property on October 13, according to a statement from the Marion County Sheriff’s Office.

Another woman also contacted the sheriff’s office saying she, too, caught Sardo in the act and confronted him about it.

 

Man arrested for having sex with horse confesses to carrying out the act 4 times a week

 

When questioned by the authorities, Sardo reportedly admitted to having sex with the small horse four times in one week. The 21-year-old said he wore a condom during each of the sexual encounters “because he didn’t want to get a disease from the horse.”

The horse is owned by Sardo’s relatives. Officers did not say if the horse suffered injuries.

 

Man arrested for having sex with horse confesses to carrying out the act 4 times a week

 

The sheriff’s office reported that Sardo admitted that what he did was wrong and that he was a “sick man.”

Sardo has been arrested and charged with four counts of bestiality, sexual contact with an animal, punishable by a year in jail, and $1,000 fine per count. He is being held at the Marion County Jail and his bail was set at $4,000.

Facebook Comments

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Photo: Father arrested for defiling his 2-year-old daughter

Published

on

The Lagos state police command have arrested Peter Adida of No.9 Oyetayo Olafisoye street Westwood estate, Badore, Ajah, Lagos for allegedly defiling his 2-year-old daughter.

Preliminary medical report indicated that there was penetration and that the baby is infected.

When questioned by the female officer on who did it, the baby pointed out her father and was able to describe various sex positions with Dad.

The Commissioner of a police, Lagos state, CP Imohimi Edgal, has directed that the matter be transferred to the Gender Section for further investigation.

He admonishes parents and guardians to watch their children closely as predators are on the increase.

The police say the suspect would be charged to court soon.

Facebook Comments

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

Viral homeless veteran and couple who created GoFundMe account for him knew each other for a month before creating fake story and may now face 10 years in jail

Published

on

Last year, a homeless veteran went viral after a New Jersey woman claimed that he used his last $20 to buy her gas when he met her for the first time and noticed she was stranded.

 

The story went viral and touched hearts all over the world. The New Jersey woman and her man then went on to start a GoFundMe campaign which raised over $403,000 for the homeless man. But the relationship soured when the veteran took them to court this year and accused them of refusing to Grant him access to the money, and instead using it on themselves.

 

Well, it has now emerged that the homeless veteran and the New Jersey couple are all frauds and knew each other for one month before they faked that viral touching story.

On Thursday, October 15, Kate McClure, 28, Mark D’Amico, 39, and Johnny Bobbitt Jr, 34, were all charged with second degree theft by deception and conspiracy to commit theft by deception in New Jersey.

They all now face between five and ten years behind bars.

 

 Viral homeless veteran and couple who created GoFundMe account for him knew each other for a month before creating fake story and may now face 10 years in jail

 

The couple, McClure and D’Amico, were released on bail after turning themselves in and will return to court on December 24.  Bobbitt is still in custody in Philadelphia awaiting extradition to New Jersey.

The couple was not required to pay anything to post bail. Of the $403,000 they raised and $360,000 they netted after GoFundMe fees, there is not a single dollar left.  They gave Bobbitt around $75,000 but blew the rest on expensive trips, casinos, expensive bags, and cars.

 

 Viral homeless veteran and couple who created GoFundMe account for him knew each other for a month before creating fake story and may now face 10 years in jail

 

GoFundMe has promised to reimburse the 14,000 people who contributed to the campaign.

The story began to fell apart in August this year after Bobbitt complained to a newspaper that the couple “stole” the money and left him to return to the streets. But the couple claimed Bobbitt was trying to squander the money and they were helping him manage it properly. They accused him of trying to slander them because they wouldn’t let him blow the money away.  They also swore they had not spent a single dollar from the donations on themselves.

Prosecutors then carried out an investigation and found that not only had the couple blown all the money, as has been suspected for months, but their story was fraudulent from the beginning and Bobbitt, who had been seen as their victim, was in on the plan all along.

Scott Coffina, Burlington County Prosecutor, said at a press conference on Thursday:

The paying it forward story that drove this fundraiser might seem too good to be true. Unfortunately it was. The entire campaign was predicated on a lie.

She did not run out of gas at an I-95 off ramp and he did not spend his last $20 to help her.

D’Amico, McClure and Bobbitt conspired to pass off a fake, feel good story that would compel donors to contribute to their cause and it worked in a very big way but it was fictitious and illegal and there are consequences.

Speaking on how the couple met the homeless man, Coffina said:

Johnny Bobbitt used to hang out near an underpass and this off ramp happens to be near a Sugarhouse casino and they frequented it and they ran into him on their trips there, befriended him, gave him $10, some coffee or some food.

Prosecutors found a 2012 Facebook post made by Bobbitt in which he claimed to have helped another woman in North Carolina by buying her gas after she too became stranded. There is no trace of it ever happening.

On Thursday, Coffina said he hoped the shocking story would not stop others from donating to genuine good causes in the future.

Facebook Comments

Continue Reading

Trending